Friday

Farewell to Facebook

Normally, we keep the blog light & filled with our daily activities. But today, I (you all know it's Tanner who writes the blog, right?) wanted to share why I've decided to leave Facebook.

It started with the Andy Stanley series our Sunday School class is doing called "Breathing Room". The last lesson mentioned things that we should cut out of our lives because they take up too much time. Facebook immediately came to mind. 

Now, I don't think FB is bad or anything. I just don't enjoy it. Never have. I can look at Pinterest for 5 minutes and feel inspired & renewed afterward. After spending the same amount of time on Facebook, all I have is 5 wasted minutes. I'm happy for the status updates of everyone who is headed to Disney / just saw a famous person / ate a burrito for lunch, but it doesn't enrich my life. All the tragic stories of strangers don't add value to my day, they just freak me out. Like I need one more thing to worry about when sending my children out into the world!

What does add value to my life is reading to my sons, talking to family, and laughing with friends. To use the minutes wasted on FB to read my devotional. To look up from my phone & see the wonders God created that are all around me. To give thanks for what I do have, instead of worry about what random tragedy could befall us at some point. My limited time resources are better spent catching up with my husband than reading the latest FB drama. I don't even like drama!

So what now? I do enjoy seeing photos of my friends' families, so I may learn to use the Instagram account I've had forever. Or I may not. I'll still have my business FB page, since you can't really have an online business without being online! (Such a shame.) I'll also keep blogging. But for this season of my life, I'm going to spend this precious time soaking up every moment I can with my real-life loves. I want to make more pudding & memories. Because when it comes down to it, I doubt I'll want my tombstone to say "I wish I spent more time on Facebook!"


1 comment:

Grannie Rains said...

Me too. I have been feeling that also. I do enjoy your blog. Hope you have time to share with us.
Love you, Carolyn